This is easy and eye pleasing! Make ahead if you wish, then crisp a little in a hot oven before serving or allow one hour before serving. Photo shows 2 potatoes. I have made 16 - 20 potatoes for large dinners and this is a time saver. Recipe is for 4 potatoes.
- Take each potato and peel a 2-3 inch strip around the middle of each potato.
- In medium frying pan add the bacon grease.
- and heat medium.
- Put all the potatoes in the pan and turn once in a while, the potatoes will brown on the stripe. Take out of the pan when all sides of the peeled white stripe are brown on each potato.
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place on a baking pan.
- Note: If you are cooking more than four potatoes, cook four at a time and place on the baking pan,then cook four more.
- All of them should go in the oven at the same time.
- Pop them in the oven and cook about 40 minutes for medium potatoes.
- Note for Make Ahead:.
- Refrigerate the baked potatoes, be careful not to break the brown crust on the stripe of each potato.
- Preheat the oven to 400*.
- Place the cooled potatoes on the baking sheet, there should be enough grease on the potatoes. To be safe, you can spray Pam on the baking sheet before placing.
- Cook to heat 15 minutes.
- You can also put the baked cooled potatoes in a roaster with a roast that has been cooking. Put in the last 20 minutes before the roast is done.
- These potatoes are especially delicious with roasted lemon chicken.