Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
My favourite way to cook fish of any kind is on a barbecue grill, or oven baked. This recipe is not as daunting as it would appear at first reading. The ingredients of this recipe seem to blend beautifully, from preparation of the Albacore Tuna, to final mixing of stuffing. The blending of herbs and seasonings was largely by guess and by golly; but having had considerable experience with seafood cooking, I was able to draw upon this knowledge to put together a rather tasty assortment of ingredients which compliment each other and complement this recipe. Have your fish monger trim the tail fins, but leave its head intact. All other fins should be removed. Your fish monger will clean the Tuna for you, to your specifications. This recipe can be adapted to oven baking as well. Note: Use a heavy foil to wrap fish prior to cooking. Important preparation of the foil follows under "Directions".
- 1 (8 -10 lb) albacore tuna, whole
- 1 lb fresh shrimp, cleaned, deveined, tails removed, and chopped coarse, If shrimp is frozen, allow to thaw and pat dry
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened and divided
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, to be used as required
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 lime, sliced thinly, with rind
- 1 lemon, sliced thinly, with rind
- 1 orange, sliced thinly, with rind
- 3 green onions, chopped coarse, complete with stems
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, crushed and chopped fine
- 3 large red bell peppers, seeds removed, sliced whole in as many pieces, as total citrus slices
- 3 -4 slices rye bread, with caraway, toasted and chopped fine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, lightly toasted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1 ounce ouzo
- To prepare the heavy foil for cooking fish:.
- Butter one side of the foil along the area where the tuna will be placed for cooking.
- Lay one half of the pepper slices on the buttered foil.
- Lay citrus slices within the pepper-slice ring, (alternating, orange, lime, lemon, etc.); set prepared foil aside until ready to use.
- PREPARE THE TUNA.
- Place the albacore tuna onto its back; Prop it up if you have to, but it should be on its back until ready to cook.
- With a sharp chef's knife, make small incisions in the internal flesh, being careful not to puncture through the skin.
- Insert capers in the incisions, using all, but a few capers in your "measure".
- Pour all of the lime juice into the fish cavity; with your basting brush, paint the inside of the albacore tuna well with fresh lime juice, forcing the juice into the incisions.
- Set the tuna aside, on its back, to allow lime juice to penetrate the Tuna flesh, while you are preparing the stuffing.
- At this point, you should start your barbecue on HIGH SETTING. If you are accustomed to using a charcoal barbecue, then use plenty of coals, keeping them to one side when fish is set on the grill, in its foil pouch. (If using oven method, preheat to 350°F).
- PREPARE THE STUFFING.
- Melt one half of the butter in large skillet.
- Add 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil to skillet.
- To the skillet: add chopped green onion, and saute lightly, to clarify; Remove onion and set aside.
- To the skillet: add chopped garlic and saute lightly, stirring all the while; Remove garlic and set aside.
- To the skillet: add chopped toasted bread, and stir until all of the butter has been absorbed. Remove bread and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- To the skillet, add a little olive oil if needed, ouzo, fennel seed, dill, lemon basil, oregano, cooked onion, garlic.
- Mix well, to blend all flavours; stir continuously until all the oil has been absorbed; It will only take a minute or two.
- Remove from skillet and add to the cooked bread in the mixing bowl.
- Add well-beaten egg and chopped shrimp; mix well, blending all of the ingredients.
- Scoop stuffing mixture into the fish cavity, pack it well.
- Seal the opening with poultry needle and string and pat the tuna dry.
- Lay stuffed tuna carefully onto the peppers and citrus, buttered foil.
- With the remaining butter, slather the upper side of the fish body; place pepper and citrus slices on fish, along the fish's body, alternating with slices of orange, lime, lemon as you did with foil preparation; (slices of pepper surrounding citrus slices).
- Wrap fish, loosely, crimping and folding the foil ends (upward), up to keep in juices.
- At this point it is time to reduce the barbecue heat to LOW SETTING. For charcoal method, move your coals to one side, and cook with Lid on BBQ.
- Place foil package on barbecue -- Lower the lid and allow to cook, for 10-12 minutes per pound.
- During last 10 minutes of cooking, open foil bag, and continue cooking, with lid open, basting frequently with accumulated juices.
- Sprinkle the remaining capers over the cooked tuna.
- Serve with sides of your choosing, and plenty of dry white wine; once again, of your choosing.
- Serves 10-12 people, comfortably.
- Times: Prep time - 40 minutes, includes cutting, chopping, preparation of Albacore Tuna.
- Cook time -1-1/2 - 2 hours.