Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are far more delicious than their commercial counterparts and so easy to make. Plan ahead as they need to chill for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. Prep time does not reflect time needed for this or for rising.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup cold water
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
- Dissolve butter, shortening, sugar and salt in boiling water.
- Cool Dissolve yeast in cooled mixture.
- Add eggs, cold water, and flour.
- Stir to just mix and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Three hours before use, roll into 3 circles but do not knead.
- Cut each circle into 12 segments as for a pie.
- Starting at the wide end, roll up each segment and place, tip down, on an ungreased baking sheet, far enough apart so that they will not touch during rising or baking.
- Let rise in a moderately warm place for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown.