Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
There is another recipe here with the same name that uses little rye loaves, but the toppings are different. I got this recipe from a sister-in-law in the early 1980's.
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 16 ounces hot sausage
- 2 loaves miniature party rye rounds
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix soup, paste and spices.
- Brown sausage and drain.
- Mix into tomato mixture.
- Brush oil on slice of bread.
- Put enough of the sliced mozarella to cover the slice of bread.
- Top with a teaspoon of tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese on top.
- Repeat and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 325 deg. and serve immediately.
- Or Bake for 10 minutes, cool and refidgerate or freeze.
- Best reheated in oven or toaster oven instead of microwave.