Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A bit of work, but makes a great meal for guests.
Make and share this Party Paella recipe from Food.com.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 chorizo sausage, sliced
- 18 large shrimp, shelled & deveined
- 1 lb mussels
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt, pepper, paprika
- 1 cup peas
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimientos
- 3 cups arborio rice
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In skillet add 1 tbsp oil, sauté chorizo until fat is rendered, remove.
- Add more oil, add chicken brown on both sides, remove.
- Heat chicken broth w/saffron, set aside.
- Add oil, onions, garlic, sauté until softened, add rice, stir to coat.
- Add wine, stir, add broth and spices, bring to boil, stirring.
- Let liquid reduce slightly, add peas, pimentos; stir.
- Add chicken, chorizo and stir.
- Place in oven, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp and mussels, stir, heat 10 minutes more until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove mussels that don't open.
- Garnish with parsley.
In our Zaar World Tour 5 visit to Spain, this was the one dish that could not be passed over. We bought saffron threads and arborio rice especially for this, and made an evening project of it. It did not disappoint. We halved the recipe simply because we didn't have a big enough skillet, and ended up finishing it in a deep-dish pizza pan, which worked well. We also used bay scallops in place of mussels and Amontillado sherry in place of white wine, both of which worked fine. A little extra liquid was needed for the second oven session, to fully moisten the rice; we used more chicken broth and another splash of sherry. Rich and indulgent, well worth the work, completely enjoyed, hope there are leftovers and don't bet on it.
Very very good! I omitted the mussles and used crawfish meat. Also, I wasn't sure if it used fresh saffron so I didn't use the fresh. For the chicken broth I used the canned with herbs.