Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is yet another version of make ahead mashed potatoes. This one uses instant potatoes and is very good. I like to put the cream cheese in the microwave on defrost to get it nice and warm so it dissolves quickly in the water mixture.
- 7 cups instant potato flakes
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 (8 ounce) packagessoftened cream cheese
- Use a large saucepan (soup kettle) and bring water, butter, garlic and onion salt to a boil.
- Remove from heat. Add cream cheese, milk and sour cream. Stir until smooth.
- Stir in potato flakes, mix well and spread in a 13 X 9 glass pan sprayed with cooking spray. Refrigerate up to 2 days or bake right away.
- Sprinkle with paprika just before baking. Bake for 50 minutes at 350* till lightly browned.
I thought these were okay, great flavour but I just can't get over the texture of the instant potato...sorry!
Quick and delicious! I always keep instant mashed potatoes on the shelf for busy weeknights. While nothing beats a from-scratch potato dish, every hostess needs a recipe like this one when she has unexpected guests. I keep crumbled bacon in the freezer so dressed this up with bacon and then added grated cheese half way through the baking process. It was yummy and satisfied the many teens and twenty-somethings that hang out at my house with my children. Thanks Joanne #6 - I'll keep this one handy.
Delicious! I only needed 6 cups of potato flakes, and had to add a little milk to thin them out. I knew they would dry a little in the oven. I also just used 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp of garlic powder since I did not have the garlic and onion salts. I did add a little black pepper. Also, I used 4 cups of water and 2 cups of milk instead of all water. Very tasty and a big hit. Thanks, Joanne #6