Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a very old recipe enjoyed by family and friends. A must at our family gatherings especially Christmas.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup coconut
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- BASE- whisk flour and icing sugar in bowl, cut in butter or margarine and press into a greased 9x9 pan.
- Bake base in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- TOPPING- Beat eggs, blend in sugar and beat together.
- Add the vanilla and the dry ingredients.
- Add the coconut, cherries and the walnuts.
- Spread filling on the prepared base and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until top nicely golden brown.
- Cool until set before cutting.
The topping is delicious! Its the only non-chocolate cookie I've made this year. But the base is so crumbly that its disintegrating as we try to eat them. The family doesn't care for coconut so I substituted rolled oats tossed with a tbs or so of melted butter to duplicate the texture and it complemented the other flavors beautifully.
Oh my...this is WONDERFUL. Don't wait until the holiday to make these...impress your friends NOW!!!! The coconut, cherry and walnut topping is to die for. ANOTHER top-notched recipes from Gerry 999. This is a keeper for sure.
Made this square for my holiday tray. I had been making one similar to this for many years. It is a true favorite at holiday time. DH loved this square as well. Very easy to make but much easier to eat. Thanks Gerry