Recipe by Gerry
This is a very old recipe enjoyed by family and friends. A must at our family gatherings especially Christmas.
Top Review by 3KillerBs
The topping is delicious! Its the only non-chocolate cookie I've made this year. But the base is so crumbly that its disintegrating as we try to eat them. The family doesn't care for coconut so I substituted rolled oats tossed with a tbs or so of melted butter to duplicate the texture and it complemented the other flavors beautifully.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup coconut
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- BASE- whisk flour and icing sugar in bowl, cut in butter or margarine and press into a greased 9x9 pan.
- Bake base in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- TOPPING- Beat eggs, blend in sugar and beat together.
- Add the vanilla and the dry ingredients.
- Add the coconut, cherries and the walnuts.
- Spread filling on the prepared base and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until top nicely golden brown.
- Cool until set before cutting.