Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have made these so many times for my get togethers, everyone loves them. You can prepare ahead and just serve them in a crockpot to stay warm. If serving this to guests, place long toothpicks on the side of the dish to pick up the "dogs". This should be enough to serve about 10-12 people.... the ingredients may be doubled if desired.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 1⁄4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (can use more if desired)
- 1 lemon, sliced (unpeeled)
- 3 1⁄2 lbs mini smoked link sausage or 3 1⁄2 lbs hot dogs
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in oil until tender (about 3-4 minutes).
- In a bowl, combine all remaining ingredients including the lemon slices (except the sausages) mix well to combine, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for about 20-25 minutes, or until slightly thickened (stirring occasionally).
- Remove the lemon slices and discard.
- Place the sausages or hot dogs in the baking dish.
- Top with sauce, and mix slightly to combine.
- Bake in a 350 degrees oven, uncovered for about 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
- Keep warm when serving.
These were really good for our Christmas party. Liked the little hot dogs much better baked than cooked on the stove. Everyone loved them. Will definitely make again.
Great appetizer. I did put it in a crock pot to keep warm for the party. Thanks for an easy appetiser.