Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I have made these so many times for my get togethers, everyone loves them. You can prepare ahead and just serve them in a crockpot to stay warm. If serving this to guests, place long toothpicks on the side of the dish to pick up the "dogs". This should be enough to serve about 10-12 people.... the ingredients may be doubled if desired.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 1⁄4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (can use more if desired)
- 1 lemon, sliced (unpeeled)
- 3 1⁄2 lbs mini smoked link sausage or 3 1⁄2 lbs hot dogs
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in oil until tender (about 3-4 minutes).
- In a bowl, combine all remaining ingredients including the lemon slices (except the sausages) mix well to combine, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for about 20-25 minutes, or until slightly thickened (stirring occasionally).
- Remove the lemon slices and discard.
- Place the sausages or hot dogs in the baking dish.
- Top with sauce, and mix slightly to combine.
- Bake in a 350 degrees oven, uncovered for about 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
- Keep warm when serving.