- 3 cups dates, cut up
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
- 3 cups boiling water
- 6 eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 4 cups sugar
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup nuts, Chopped
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate bits
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix dates and water and allow to cool.
- Combine 3c sugar, shortening, eggs, cocoa and flour.
- Add baking soda to date mixture and combine.
- Pour into 2 greased loaf pans and sprinkle with topping of 1c sugar, nuts and chocolate bits.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
- Slice and serve hot.
- Garnish with whipped cream.