Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Delicious spiked apple cider - perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings.
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (fresh is best)
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 64 ounces apple cider
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup light rum
- cinnamon stick, if desired (to garnish)
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Strain.
- Stir in cider, orange juice and rum. Heat through.
- Keep warm in a dutch oven or other warmer. Serve in cups with a cinnamon stick.
This is a nice sweet and spicy cider! I made 1/4 of the recipe and it smelled so good while simmering. I just scooped the whole spices out but didn't strain the liquid. This is a great winter warmer - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for the Comfort Cafe event, January 2009