Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this in Simple and Delicious and it truly fits the title! A huge hit at a get together and so simple to prepare. I hope you enjoy it too!
- 1 round loaf sourdough bread (approx. one lb.)
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, cut into thin slices
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, lemon juice, mustard, garlic powder and onion powder then set aside.
- Cut bread diagonally into 1-inch slices to within a 1/2-inch of the bottom of the loaf (DO NOT cut all the way through). Repeat cuts in opposite direction.
- Arrange cheese slices in the cuts then drizzle butter mixture over the bread.
- Wrap loaf in foil and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 15 minutes then uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve warm.
This was a really delicious bread. And so easy to prepare, which I really liked. The mustard sauce gave the bread a nice kick that even my kids enjoyed. This would be a nice recipe to take to a potluck, or even for Super Bowl Sunday. Thanks, HokiesLady. This recipe is going right into my "keeper" file.
O WOW!! What a huge, decadent, treat this was over the weekend! I used unsalted butter and added a bit of shredded Asaigo cheese to the cuts as well. It was devoured instantly! Thanks for posting, Hokie.
I took this to a friend's house last night along with another similar recipe and this one was demolished in half the time! I loved the tang from the lemon juice. Thought this was absolutely perfect with the cheddar/monterey jack combo I used.