Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Flavorful,Robust and Good for You! Vegans can use water or Vegetable Stock Vegetable Stock instead of chicken broth. This recipe is for a crowd s but can be easily cut in half.
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown rice (medium or long grain)
- 6 cups hot chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or if you can find Pistachio oil or Walnut oil)
- 1 medium vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup roasted pistachios
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup minced parsley
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly
- Place the rice in a large skillet and toast over a high flame for 1 minute.
- Add the 6 cups chicken stock and cardamom and bring to rolling boil.
- Lower heat to simmer cover and cook for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over a high flame.
- Add the onions and brown sugar and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger and saute for 1 minute, then add the garlic and cranberries and cook for another 2 to 4 minutes, or until heated through.
- Add the rice, pistachio nuts, cardamom, and salt, to taste.
- Cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in parsley and scallions.
- Serve immediately.
this was a really nice side dish to chicken. i would have browned the rice in the onions, etc, then added the broth etc, but i followed your directions. i browned my onions in macadamia nut oil, cut the recipe in half but cooking time was fine-- you mention adding the cardamom twice- so i added some with the stock and rice, which i made in the rice steamer, and added 1/2 tsp with the garlic and ginger onion mix. pistachios were a great touch.
Wow Rita, I scaled this to half and it still made a huge amount of rice. Nice different taste though.The only problem I had was that in the instructions you add the cardamom twice but not in the ingredients, so I split the amount in half and added it to the rice when boiling and the other half later when putting it together. It didn't seem to make any difference. We loved the taste of cranberries and pistashios together, they seem to compliment each other. We had about 3/4 of it left over and other plans for today, so I froze it, I see no reason why it won't be just as good reheated. Thanks for sharing, I will definately keep this one for a large gathering.