Top Review by chia
this was a really nice side dish to chicken. i would have browned the rice in the onions, etc, then added the broth etc, but i followed your directions. i browned my onions in macadamia nut oil, cut the recipe in half but cooking time was fine-- you mention adding the cardamom twice- so i added some with the stock and rice, which i made in the rice steamer, and added 1/2 tsp with the garlic and ginger onion mix. pistachios were a great touch.
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown rice (medium or long grain)
- 6 cups hot chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or if you can find Pistachio oil or Walnut oil)
- 1 medium vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup roasted pistachios
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup minced parsley
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the rice in a large skillet and toast over a high flame for 1 minute.
- Add the 6 cups chicken stock and cardamom and bring to rolling boil.
- Lower heat to simmer cover and cook for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over a high flame.
- Add the onions and brown sugar and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger and saute for 1 minute, then add the garlic and cranberries and cook for another 2 to 4 minutes, or until heated through.
- Add the rice, pistachio nuts, cardamom, and salt, to taste.
- Cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in parsley and scallions.
- Serve immediately.