Recipe by Rita1
My niece gave me this recipe. I have no idea as to where it originated. I made these bars today for the first time and took them to a family gathering and brought home an empty pan. The bars are chocked full of chocolate chips and maraschino cherries and are very moist. I would suggest using 1/2 of the chips the recipe calls for and maybe adding more cherries. They are Mmm Mmm good! I forgot to ice my party bars but they were plenty rich without the frosting.
Top Review by cookingpompom
I made these as my Christmas gifts this year and they were wonderful! I doubled the recipe, I used butter rather than shortening and doubled the choc chips (half white and half milk). I got rave reviews and will make this again. It looked wonderfully festive on green plates with the red cherries and choc chips. Thanks for posting!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 cup maraschino cherry
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream shortening and sugars.
- Beat in eggs, add vanilla and beat until fluffy.
- Add milk and dry ingredients alternately.
- Stir in cherries and chocolate chips.
- Pour into greased jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 325°F for 24-30 minutes.
- Frost with chocolate icing while warm.