Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This savory dish allows the chicken to baste the partridge breasts while cooking. Great as a meal for some who like game and others who don't care for it. Serve extra stuffing on the side.
- 2 partridge breasts
- 1 cup prepared herbed seasoned stuffing mix
- 3 -4 lbs roasting chickens
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 whole onion
- 1 whole carrot
- 2 stalks celery
- chicken neck
- chicken giblets
- chicken heart
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup flour, whisked into water below
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Wash partridge breasts and chicken.
- Saute minced vegetables until soft and add to dry stuffing mix.
- Prepare stuffing mix per packaged instructions.
- Stuff two breast w/ stuffing mix.
- Place partridge breasts inside chicken.
- Place chicken in roasting pan.
- Rub butter on chicken, sprinkle with sage and generous amounts of S& P.
- Roast 2 1/2- 3 hours Baste often.
- Let stand for 20 minutes covered with foil before carving.
- Gravy: Cook chicken parts and vegetables in water.
- Simmer for two hours.
- Save broth and discard vegetables.
- Cool neck and pick off meat.
- Chop into fine pieces.
- Chop giblets (discard gristle) and heart into small pieces.
- Add onion to broth and heat to boiling.
- Add onion powder and S& P.
- Lower heat.
- Whisk in gravy slurry slowly.
- Whisk continuously and cook over med.
- low heat until thickened (10 minutes).
- Add chopped chicken pieces and heat.
- Pour gravy over portions of partrige and chicken or serve gravy over mashed potatoes as a sidedish to the chicken and partridge.
Hi Barbara: As promised, I prepared this recipe with changes to the stuffing. I did not use packaged stuffing mix because of the sodium content. Instead I prepared stuffing "from scratch", leaving out the poultry seasoning and relied heavily on flavours from the juices of boiled down chicken & partridge giblets and meat removed from the partridge legs, prior to stuffing the partridge breast, with a bouquet garni, It worked out beautifully. Prior to roasting the stuffed chicken, I made a thin paste from olive oil and paprika, then using all of this paste, painted the entire chicken and put it into a very hot oven (400) for 20 minutes. This browned the skin; I then covered the chicken with a foil tent,turned down the oven and let it do its thing for 2 hours. I will post this recipe and let you know when it is accepted and posted. You may be interested in a variation on your theme. Thanks once again, Barbara, it is an amazing concept for cooking chicken.