Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 45 mins
This came from a cookbook called “All Day Singing and Dinner on the Ground” by Willadeene Parton (Dolly’s sister) that we recently got. The cookbook is full of really good, simple family recipes! I love lima beans, so here’s one we’ve adapted and hope to make. Time does not include overnight bean soaking.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried lima beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb pork sausage, browned well until crisp
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup condensed cream of tomato soup
- 1⁄2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon granulated garlic or 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- Soak the beans in lots of water overnight, then drain, rinse, and pick out any bad ones.
- In a large pot, cover with cold water and add salt. Simmer covered over medium heat for 35 to 45 min until tender (make sure they don’t get mushy). The amount of time it takes will depend on how large the beans are.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain and pour the cooked beans into a well-oiled baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and stir to combine well. Add to the beans and fold it all together.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 1 hour.
- Note: onions would also go well in this recipe.