Recipe by Bergy
Parsnips are an under used vegetable and they really are delicious. I usually cut out the hard center core but many leave the core in. Season with salt & Pepper.
Top Review by JustJanS
Parsnips are just coming into season here now, so no woody cores in mine! I made no changes to this yummy recipe, but I did use fresh breadcrumbs as I had no dried ones and I sliced the parsnips prior to boiling! These were really outstanding (from an already converted parsnip lover)!!
- 6 medium parsnips, peeled,boiled until tender (Used a bit of salt in the water)
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese (or your favorite)
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2-1 cup milk or 1⁄2-1 cup coffee cream
- 2 slices bacon
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the cooked parsnips lengthwise into 1/3" strips.
- Arrange one layer of parsnips in a greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese& breadcrumbs, alternate parsnips with the cheese and crumbs, distribute evenly until the parsnips are all in the baking dish (usually 2-3 layers depending on the size of the parsnip).
- Pour inenough milk (cream) until it reaches half the depth of the parsnips.
- Cut bacon in tiny cubes and sprinkle on top.
- Thirty minutes before dinner pop the casserole into a 400 degree F oven.
- The Dish is ready when the bacon bits are crisp and the dish is bubbling.