Recipe by Pets'R'us
I love the taste of the humble parsnip not just in soups. This pudding goes very well with stews and roast meat or chicken.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs parsnips (you will need approx 1.2 lb after they are peeled and cored)
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped or 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter or 1⁄2 tablespoon margarine
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 2 ounces grated fresh parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Clean the parsnips, cook, steam or microwave until they are soft.
- Mash them with the milk and butter, then add a good grating of nutmeg and the flour, then the chopped onion and the egg, and then add the salt and pepper and check the seasoning.
- Transfer this to a greased ovenproof dish and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, the cheese might not brown or melt being Parmesan, it will make more of a thin crust, if you like melted cheese on the top, add little flecks of butter to the Parmesan, or choose a different cheese.