Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A savory kugel with Vidalia onions, Yukon Gold potatoes, and parsnips. What's not to love? NOTE: Potato kugels can sometimes be bland, so be generous with your seasoning. I use unsalted butter. If you don't have any matzo meal, you can just crumble up some plain crackers. My adaptation of a version found at blackcoffeeandadonut.blogspot.com.
- 3 lbs yellow skinned potatoes, peeled, cut into cubes (such as Yukon Gold)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs parsnips, peeled, cubed
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup butter (original called for 1/2 cup) or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup margarine (original called for 1/2 cup)
- 3 cups onions, chopped (I like Vidalia)
- 3 extra large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1⁄4 cup matzo meal or 1⁄4 cup cracker crumbs or 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs, more as needed
- Preheat oven to 400 F and grease a medium-large casserole dish, either oval or rectangular shaped (7"x11" size or 8"x12").
- Sprinkle a tiny bit of the matzo meal over the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Place potatoes and parsnips into a deep saucepot and cover with cold water; bring to a boil and then cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes roughly; drain well.
- While the potatoes and parsnips are boiling, heat some butter in a large skillet and saute the onions until soft and tender and golden; the original recipe called for a whole stick which I think is a bit much, but you need enough to soften the onions and give them a nice flavor.
- Mash together the drained potatoes and the parsnips, then add the sauteed onions, along with any remaining butter from the pan.
- Add the beaten eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste, and 1/4 cup of the matzo meal.
- Pour into the prepared pan and then sprinkle just a fine layer of matzo meal over the top.
- Dot with a little more butter.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 25-30 or until the surface is golden brown.
- Tip: You can halve the recipe, in which case use 1 whole egg plus 1 egg white; the timing will be about the same.