1 hr 15 mins
A savory kugel with Vidalia onions, Yukon Gold potatoes, and parsnips. What's not to love? NOTE: Potato kugels can sometimes be bland, so be generous with your seasoning. I use unsalted butter. If you don't have any matzo meal, you can just crumble up some plain crackers. My adaptation of a version found at blackcoffeeandadonut.blogspot.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs yellow skinned potatoes, peeled, cut into cubes (such as Yukon Gold)
- 1 1/2 lbs parsnips, peeled, cubed
- 1/4-1/2 cup butter (original called for 1/2 cup) or 1/4-1/2 cup margarine (original called for 1/2 cup)
- 3 cups onions, chopped (I like Vidalia)
- 3 extra large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1/4 cup matzo meal or 1/4 cup cracker crumbs or 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs, more as needed
- 1Preheat oven to 400 F and grease a medium-large casserole dish, either oval or rectangular shaped (7"x11" size or 8"x12").
- 2Sprinkle a tiny bit of the matzo meal over the bottom of the casserole dish.
- 3Place potatoes and parsnips into a deep saucepot and cover with cold water; bring to a boil and then cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes roughly; drain well.
- 4While the potatoes and parsnips are boiling, heat some butter in a large skillet and saute the onions until soft and tender and golden; the original recipe called for a whole stick which I think is a bit much, but you need enough to soften the onions and give them a nice flavor.
- 5Mash together the drained potatoes and the parsnips, then add the sauteed onions, along with any remaining butter from the pan.
- 6Add the beaten eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste, and 1/4 cup of the matzo meal.
- 7Pour into the prepared pan and then sprinkle just a fine layer of matzo meal over the top.
- 8Dot with a little more butter.
- 9Bake, uncovered, for about 25-30 or until the surface is golden brown.
- 10Tip: You can halve the recipe, in which case use 1 whole egg plus 1 egg white; the timing will be about the same.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Parsnip Potato Kugel
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 211.6
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 71.5 mg
- Sodium 158.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 5.4 g