Prep 50 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From Bon Appetit, November 2010.
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 lbs parsnips, peeled, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 lb turnip, peeled, cut into 1/2-to 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter with oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add parsnips, potatoes, and turnips; stir 4 minutes. Add garlic; stir 1 minute. Add broth; bring to boil. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to large bowl. Pour cooking broth into small bowl; reserve. Add cream cheese to vegetables. Using electric mixer, beat vegetables to smooth puree. Add 2 tablespoons butter-oil mixture from top of broth to vegetables. Stir in 2 tablespoons dill. Season with salt and pepper.
- Butter 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish. Transfer puree to prepared dish. (DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.).
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add panko and stir until golden brown, about 2 minutes. (DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool and store airtight at room temperature.).
- Position rack in top third of oven; preheat to 350°F Sprinkle panko mixture over vegetable puree. Bake until top is brown, about 15 minutes (25 minutes if chilled). Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons dill.