Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This pie may replace your old favorite Pumpkin Pie - Don't say Ugh until you try this. Even parsnip haters bow their head in reverence. Seriously try this pie it is very good
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell (bake about 10 min 425F oven or until lightly browned)
- 1 lb parsnip, peeled, sliced and cooked until tender (apprx 10 min)
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup liquid honey
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons liquid honey
- Combine the parsnips with the milk and puree until very smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup honey, eggs, orange rind,& seasonings, adjust seasoning to your liking, mix well Pour parsnip mixture into the baked pie shell.
- Bake at 375F until the filling is set apprx 50 minutes, insert a knife in the middle of the pie when it comes out clean it is done.
- Spread the 1 1/2 tbsp of honey on top.
- Garnish with whipped cream if you dare, and a dash of cinnamon.
I enjoyed this, but made the mistake of letting others see me make it. They wouldn't even try it. I will note that if you use the bought pie crusts, that it will make 2 pies instead of one.
IMHO it doesn't taste like pumpkin pie but for the spices. It's more bitter, as you would expect parsnip to be. The texture is more like a casserole than a creamy pice, and mine came out too salty.