Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This lovely light soup combines the sweetness of parsnip with the tang of fresh lemon and ginger from Claire MacDonald of Clan MacDonald
- 3 ounces butter
- 2 medium onions, skinned and chopped
- 4 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 1⁄8 liters chicken stock, homemade if possible
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan then add the chopped onions.
- cook for 5 mins stirring occasionally then add the parsnips, lemon peel and ginger and cook for a further 5 mins.
- pour on the stock and with the pan half covered with the pan lid, simmer until the parsnips are very soft.
- Cool a little and liquidise, adjust for seasoning with lemon juice and salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve hot garnished with fresh parsley.
Ginger with parsnips - who would have thought? This makes a lovely but slightly different soup. I like the brightness that the lemon adds to this, as well. It makes up very quickly, especially if you have an immersion blender/ I made half the recipe and it was more like two servings for us, but we like our soup.