Entered for safe-keeping, from 12/01/13 Parade Magazine. This looks like a healthy variation, with nary a potato in sight, but vitamin-rich. Just don't go overboard with the sour cream. Many people don't care for parsnips, and I don't care for them on their own, but they make a fantastic supporting player!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 big pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 lb golden beets, peeled and shredded (~3)
- 3/4 lb parsnip, peeled and shredded (~2 large)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- 2Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- 3Squeeze dry the beets in a clean kitchen towel. In the large bowl with flour, toss beets together with parsnips. Stir in the eggs.
- 4In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm oil.
- 5For each latke, drop 1/4 cup of mixture into skillet and cook, pressing with a spatula to flatten. Cook until golden brown, 4-5 minutes per side.
- 6Keep warm in 200F oven until ready to serve.
- 8Stir horseradish and parsley into sour cream and serve on the side.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Parsnip-Golden Beet Latkes
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 297.2
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 154.4 mg
- Sodium 850.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh ground black pepper