Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
And now for something totally different... From Epicurious.
- 3 lbs parsnips, peeled, cut into 2-inch-long pieces
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F Steam parsnips until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to baking sheet; roast until light brown, about 45 minutes. Puree in processor.
- Bring water, butter and salt to boil in heavy medium saucepan, stirring until butter melts. Reduce heat to low. Add flour all at once; stir vigorously until mixture forms ball, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer hot paste to bowl of heavy-duty mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Continue beating 1 minute. Add 2 cups parsnip puree to paste mixture (reserve any remaining puree for another use); beat to blend. Stir in pepper. (Dough can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.).
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line large baking sheets with parchment. Transfer dough to pastry bag fitted with larger star tip. Pipe 2-inch-diameter rosettes onto sheets, spacing apart.
- Bake gnocchi until crisp and beginning to brown, about 25 minutes. Using spatula, transfer gnocchi to plates. Top with parsley, if desired.