Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Superhealthy, high in fibre
- 600 g parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 1 kg celeriac, peeled and cubed
- 25 g butter
- 4 tablespoons double cream
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage leaf
FOR THE TOPPING
- 50 g fresh coarse breadcrumbs
- 5 tablespoons parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook parsnips in a pan of boiling salted water for 2 mins, then tip in the celeriac and boil together for 8 minutes; drain well.
- Mash with butter and cream; season.
- Add a grating of nutmeg.
- Stir in the sage and spoon into a buttered oven proof dish.
- Make up to this stage 1 day ahead or freeze for one month. Defrost in fridge overnight.
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5.
- Mix breadcrumbs, Parmesan, almonds and oil together.
- Season, scatter over the mash.
- Bake for 35-40 mins from cold, 25-30 mins if not, until topping is crisp and golden.