Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Instead of crumbs, bake without any topping and then add strips of crisp bacon on top.
- 3 cups cooked and mashed parsnips
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
- 1 cup canned mushroom, drained
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheese
- 1⁄2 cup crushed corn flakes (crushed Ritz Crackers make a nice alternative) or 1⁄2 cup Rice Krispies (crushed Ritz Crackers make a nice alternative)
- Season hot parsnips with salt, pepper or seasoned salt to taste.
- Combine ham, mushrooms and cheese.
- Alternate layers of parsnips and ham mixture in a lightly greased 2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle top with crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
I made the bacon-topped version and replaced the ham with sliced chicken andouille sausage. Although the flavor of the casserole was good, I think I ruined the texture by using the processor to "mash" the parsnips. I turned them to glue. Mash the parsnips with a mixer or by hand and I believe you'll enjoy the results.