Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Instead of crumbs, bake without any topping and then add strips of crisp bacon on top.
Make and share this Parsnip Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups cooked and mashed parsnips
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
- 1 cup canned mushroom, drained
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheese
- 1⁄2 cup crushed corn flakes (crushed Ritz Crackers make a nice alternative) or 1⁄2 cup Rice Krispies (crushed Ritz Crackers make a nice alternative)
- Season hot parsnips with salt, pepper or seasoned salt to taste.
- Combine ham, mushrooms and cheese.
- Alternate layers of parsnips and ham mixture in a lightly greased 2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle top with crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
I made the bacon-topped version and replaced the ham with sliced chicken andouille sausage. Although the flavor of the casserole was good, I think I ruined the texture by using the processor to "mash" the parsnips. I turned them to glue. Mash the parsnips with a mixer or by hand and I believe you'll enjoy the results.