Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Fabulous combination of fall fruits and root vegetables. Use fresh sage if available.
- 1 lb parsnip
- 1 large cooking apple
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 fresh sage leaves or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cup light cream
- salt & pepper
- Peel and coarsely chop parsnips and apple. In a large saucepan melt butter.
- Add parsnips and apple, and cook covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock, sage and cloves. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until parsnips are soft.
- Remove the sage and cloves. Transfer the parsnip and apple mixture to a food processor or blender (I use an immersion blender) and puree till smooth. Return to saucepan, stir in cream and season to taste with salt & pepper. Reheat but do not allow to boil.
- Serve hot. Garnish with fresh sage and croutons.