1/4 Photos of Parsley's Stuffed Peppers
1 hr 20 mins
These are my oldest son's favorite. I don't make them too often, though because my husband isn't a fan of bell peppers. Sometimes I use the cheese; sometimes not.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -7 large green bell peppers or 6 -7 large red bell peppers, I use a combo
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce, DIVIDED
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- salt, to taste
- mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F Lightly grease a deep large baking pan.
- 2Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. Place hollowed peppers cut side up in the prepared baking dish.
- 3In a large skillet, brown and crumble beef and pork with the onion and garlic; drain off fat and return to the skillet.
- 4Add (to the cooked meat mixture in the skillet) the crushed tomatoes, about HALF of the tomato sauce, chopped parsley, oregano, basil, sugar, marjoram, and pepper. Allow to come to a soft boil.
- 5Add the beef broth and uncooked instant rice. Stir well. Bring to a soft boil; reduce heat.
- 6Cover skillet and simmer gently for 15 minutes; stirring once or twice.
- 7Stir again and add desired amount of salt; if needed.
- 8Generously fill each hollowed bell pepper. If any leftover filling exists, just pour more over each.
- 9Top each with the RESERVED tomato sauce.
- 10Loosely cover with foil and bake 45 minutes.
- 11After 45 minutes, uncover (and IF using the optional mozzarella, sprinkle it on now) and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes. (sometimes I put a bit more sauce over the cheese).
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Parsley's Stuffed Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (513 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 456.7
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 90.1 mg
- Sodium 724.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 27.9 g