Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This simple soup is make extra special and decorative with the cream swirled in at the end to create a pretty pattern. I like it just the way it is, but a clove of garlic probably wouldn't go astray here.
- 2 large leeks
- 200 g fresh curly-leaf parsley, chopped
- 75 g butter
- 275 g floury potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 100 ml double cream or 100 ml heavy cream, divided
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chives, finely chopped
- Remove and discard the darker green tops of the leeks.
- Slice the rest and wash well.
- Melt the butter in a large pot.
- Add half the parsley and the leeks and cook gently until soft.
- Add the potatoes and chicken stock before covering and simmering gently for 20 minutes.
- Add the reserved parsley leaves and simmer for two minutes, then liquidise in batches until smooth and return to a clean pan.
- Stir in half the cream and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- For the chive cream, lightly whip the remaining cream with a bit of salt and pepper so it thickens slightly but is still runny.
- Stir in most of the chopped chives.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and swirl in some of the chive cream.
- Scatter over the remaining chives.
Good and easy to do. It wasn't as tasty as I had hoped--even with the quantity of parsley. Very pretty color soup, a bright green.
Easy and delicious! The soup seemed to need a good amount of salt though to bring out the flavor of the parsley. For this one time, I will ignore the cholesterol and saturated fat amount. ;) I used fresh parsley and fresh chives from my herb garden, although I didn't quite have enough curly parsley, so had to throw in some Italian flat-leaf parsley, too. I thought I was being quite the experienced chef using a squeeze bottle to "squirt" the chive cream on top of the soup, but the cream came out of the bottle more like a car backfiring...oh well. Added the garlic when the potatoes (for Americans that's Idaho russets) were added. Thanks for sharing your soup recipe! cg