Recipe by HeatherFeather
This very unusual salad is very pretty and unique. This may not be for everyone's taste buds, but is a pleasant change from the norm. I saw this prepared on the tv program "Nigella Bites." It would go well with Meditteranean or Middle Eastern style dishes and is a nice compliment to grilled chicken or fish. Be sure to only use fresh ingredients. I don't serve this as a side salad on its own, but rather, as a bed for salmon or other fish.
Top Review by Mirj
I was very intrigued by a salad with parsley as the main ingredient. It's got a good taste, but doesn't make it as a salad. After I added some chopped tomatoes and cucumbers it was perfect (in my opinion). I recommend trying it, it's easily adaptable to everyone's tastes.
- 1 bunch flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of, fresh
- 1 -2 tablespoon capers, packed in briny liquid, drained
- 1⁄2 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced (or other sweet onion)
- extra virgin olive oil, to taste (high quality)
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place drained capers in a small bowl of cold water and let soak about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash, stem, and drain parsley well.
- Set parsley on a large plate or small platter in a big mound.
- Slice as many red onion slivers as you like and sprinkle over the parsley.
- Drain capers again and sprinkle over the salad.
- Squeeze the juice of 1/2 a fresh lemon over the salad.
- Drizzle with a spalsh of good quality extra virgin olive oil and a few grinds of black pepper.
- No need to add any salt- the capers are salty enough.
- Do not toss.
- Wait 5 minutes, then serve.