Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
These deviled eggs are very sophisticated, with zingy flavors that go well with contemporary food. One of the most addictive deviled eggs you'll ever taste! The secret ingredient is honey. Great for picnics, and also with drinks before a meal or for cocktail hour. Adapted from The San Francisco Examiner. Bay Area culinary expert Niloufer Ichaporta King, "one of the best cooks on the planet" found it in a book published in Bombay in the 1940s, under the mysterious heading "Italian Eggs". Not a classic Parsi recipe. Tips: It is important to let the eggs season a bit for the best flavor. Two hours will do it, but overnight is better. You can play with the seasonings, using more butter, lime, and/or jalapeno, as you like. Cook time is chill time.
- Shell the eggs, cut them in half lengthwise, and put the egg yolks in a small bowl.
- Set the egg whites aside.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except the mayonnaise to the yolks, mashing well with a fork. Be sure the honey is well distributed.
- Stir in the mayonnaise and taste for lime and salt.
- Spoon the mixture into the egg whites, cover, and refrigerate for at tleast 2 hours or overnight.
- Let come to room temperature before serving.