1/1 Photo of Parmigiano-Crusted Rigatoni W/Cauliflower & Bacon
Melissa Rubel from Food & Wine Magazine, uses a few shortcuts to make her creamy baked pasta. She starts by boiling the cauliflower and rigatoni together in one pot. Then, for a quick and supercrispy topping, she sprinkles the dish with Parmiagiano-panko crumbs, and broils it. The topping browns perfectly in only two minutes. F&W Magazine, 02/2008 - From World's Best Pastas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3/4 lb rigatoni pasta
- 2 (1 3/4 lb) cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 3 ounces cooked crispy bacon (don't make the bacon pieces too small)
- 1Preheat the broiler.
- 2Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- 3In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- 4Add the garlic & crushed red pepper, if using, and cook over moderate heat until lightly golden, about 3 minutes.
- 5Add the cream and simmer until thickened slightly, about 2 minutes; season with salt and frshly ground black pepper.
- 6Cook the rigatoni until al dente; about 6 minutes before the rigatoni is done, add the cauliflower florets to the pot.
- 7Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the pasta cooking water.
- 8Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss the panko with the Parmigiano cheese and the remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil; season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 9Return the rigatoni and cauliflower to the pot.
- 10Add the garlic cream, the crispy bacon and the reserved pasta water and toss until the pasta is coated.
- 11Scrape the pasta into a large shallow baking dish and sprinkle the panko mixture evenly over the top.
- 12Broil for about 2 minutes, rotating constantly, until the topping is evenly browned.
- 13Serve hot with a cherry-rich red blend: 2005 Capezzana Barco Reale.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Parmigiano-Crusted Rigatoni W/Cauliflower & Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (613 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 984.1
- Calories from Fat 472
- Total Fat 52.4 g
- Saturated Fat 21.8 g
- Cholesterol 174.9 mg
- Sodium 704.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 30.8 g