Prep 24 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This salad recipe came from a "Taste of Home Magazine" a few years back. It's perfect to bring to a potluck or picnic.
- 2 cups mayonnaise or 2 cups salad dressing
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (I use the fresh shredded kind)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 3/4 pound)
- 4 cups fresh cauliflower florets (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 lb sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups croutons (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, sugar, basil and salt.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower, onion and water chestnuts; toss.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with the chopped bacon.
- Top with croutons, if desired.
This was so good! I steamed the broccoli and cauliflower for 5 minutes and let them cool before making the salad. I used low-fat mayo and freshly grated parmesan. I cut the bacon to half the specified amount, just to lower the fat. I will use this recipe again! Thanks for posting!!
This is a great tasting, make-ahead salad. I followed the recipe exactly, except for adding a dash of ground black pepper (mostly out of habit of adding it to EVERYTHING!) This will be great to take to barbeques. Definitely a keeper! Thanks Mark! ~Manda
A variation of the good old broccoli salad. I added 1/4 cup of cider vinegar to the dressing and then was very happy.