Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from a 1980 magazine recipe. Veal coated with a Parmesan breading and sauteed in butter, topped with a mellow wine sauce. Serve with rice and peas. I have a feeling this is not diet food!
For the veal
- 4 lbs veal scallopini, thin cutlets
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup marsala wine
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 beef bouillon cube, can use 1 envelope
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 10 ounces frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Prepare rice according to directions on the rice label; when done, gently stir in the butter and the peas.
- Keep warm.
- Pound each piece of veal to 1/8" thickness on a cutting board with a meat mallet and then trim into 4" X 2" pieces.
- In a pie plate, beat the milk and the egg together.
- In a shallow bowl or on waxed paper, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Dip the meat into the egg mixture and then coat with the crumb mixture.
- In a 12" skillet, over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Cook the garlic and 1/3 of the veal until it is lightly browned; remove to a platter; keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining meat, using a 1/2 cup of butter in all.
- In a cup, mix the water with the flour.
- Discard the garlic from the skillet and melt the remaining butter in the same pan.
- Add the water and flour mixture, Marsala, parsley and bouillon.
- Cook, stirring, until thickened and pour over the meat; serve with the rice and peas.
Oolala,as your name states,this represents this dish. I made it last night and it was "super" I did not have four lbs of scaloppini,but adjusted for what I had.
I will use this as my base for serving in the future....Many thanks for posting....Don