Roxygirl in Colorado's Note:
This unique pasta sauce is adapted from "The Instant Gourmet," by Melissa Clark (food writer from NY Times). As soon as I thumbed through the book, I knew this was going to be great- and it is. This makes a great vegetarian entree that takes just a few minutes to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb cheese tortellini (parmesan) or 1 lb cheese ravioli
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen winter squash puree
- 1 -2 tablespoon Bourbon (I use only 1 tablespoon- feel free to omit)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Cook the tortellini according to the package directions.
- 2Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the broth, garlic, and squash puree.
- 3Cook the mixture, stirring, until the mixture thickens a bit, about 4-6 minutes.
- 4Stir in bourbon, lemon juice, thyme,brown sugar, salt and pepper, and let simmer for 1 more minute.
- 5Remove from heat.
- 6Drain the tortellini and serve with the sauce on top with grated parmesan.
- 7Notes: to add a spicy flavor: add a few gratings of nutmeg and a dash of allspice.
- 8In winter: a bay leaf will add its own distinctive perfume.
- 9For richer sauce: Add 1-2 tablespoons butter at the end of cooking.
Browse Our Top Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Parmesan Tortellini in a Bourbon-Spiked Squash Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 404.9
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 47.8 mg
- Sodium 703.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 16.5 g