Recipe by swissms
From Gourmet magazine, October 2005. "Each bite delivers a huge range of tastes — sweet, salty, and smoky — all at the same time. They're easy to make and completely irresistible." Serve at your next cocktail party. Could substitute prosciutto instead of bacon (In fact, I prefer the prosciutto).
- 5 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, cut into 18 sticks (1- by 1/4-inch)
- 18 pitted dates (preferably Medjool)
- 6 slices bacon, cut crosswise into thirds or 3 ounces prosciutto
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F
- Stuff 1 piece of cheese into each date, then wrap 1 piece of bacon around each date, securing it with a pick. Arrange dates 1 inch apart in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake 5 minutes, then turn dates over with tongs and bake until bacon is crisp, 5 to 6 minutes more (may take longer). Drain on a paper bag or parchment. Serve immediately.