Recipe by JanuaryBride
Recipe from Eating Well. States, "If you like spinach-cheese pie, try these simple but elegant-looking little spinach cakes." I can't wait to try them! They suggest using them as a light, vegetarian lunch. This will serve 4 as a main dish (2 per person) or 8 if you are just serving 1 to each person as a side dish.
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Delicious! I halved the recipe and baked in ramekins. I added maybe a tablespoon of minced onion. I wish I would have made the whole batch to enjoy later. Thanks for posting this keeper recipe!
- 12 ounces fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese or 1⁄2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pulse spinach in three batches in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Transfer to a medium bowl. Add ricotta (or cottage cheese), Parmesan, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper; stir to combine.
- Coat 8 cups of the muffin pan with cooking spray. Divide the spinach mixture among the 8 cups (they will be very full).
- Bake the spinach cakes until set, about 20 minutes.
- Let stand in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges with a knife and turn out onto a clean cutting board or large plate.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with more Parmesan, if desired.