dimply dots's Note:
Found this one in the Chicago Tribune. It's from Betty Rosbottom. Delicious!
My Private Note
bowls o ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped shallots (about 1/2 pound or 5 large shallots)
- 3/4 lb yukon gold potatoes or 3/4 lb russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 1/4-2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/4-2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus 2 tablespoons extra for garnish (preferably Parmigiano Reggiano)
- generous pinch cayenne pepper
- kosher salt
- 1To make soup:.
- 21. Heat butter and oil in a large, heavy saucepan set over medium heat. When hot, add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes or so.
- 32. Add potatoes and garlic, and cook and stir 1 minute more.
- 43. Add 2 1/4 cups each of broth and milk, and bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook at a simmer until potatoes and shallots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 54. Gradually whisk in 3/4 cup cheese ad stir until it has melted. remove pan from heat and whisk in cayenne pepper. Taste and season with salt. If you use low-sodium broth, you'll need a teaspoon or more salt. If soup is too thick stir in 1/4 each additional broth and milk. (Soup can be prepared 1 day ahead; cool, cover and refrigerate. Reheat over medium heat, stirring).
- 6To make garnishes:.
- 71. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil until hot in a medium, heavy skillet set over medium heat. Add prosciutto and saute, turning often until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- 82. To the same skillet set over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon more olive oil. When hot, add bread crumbs and cook, tossing constantly, until golden and crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. remove crumbs to a plate. (Prosciutto and crumbs can be prepared 4 hours ahead; leave uncovered at cool room temperature).
- 93. Ladle soup into 4 soup bowls and sprinkle each serving with some parmesan, prosciutto, bread crumbs and parsley.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Parmesan Soup With Prosciutto and Toasted Bread Crumbs
Serving Size: 1 (478 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 528.6
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 41.6 mg
- Sodium 932.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 20.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: