Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this one in the Chicago Tribune. It's from Betty Rosbottom. Delicious!
Make and share this Parmesan Soup With Prosciutto and Toasted Bread Crumbs recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped shallots (about 1/2 pound or 5 large shallots)
- 3⁄4 lb yukon gold potatoes or 3⁄4 lb russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 1⁄4-2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 1⁄4-2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus 2 tablespoons extra for garnish (preferably Parmigiano Reggiano)
- generous pinch cayenne pepper
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into strips about 3 inches long by 1/4 inch wide
- 3⁄4 cup coarse fresh breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
- To make soup:.
- 1. Heat butter and oil in a large, heavy saucepan set over medium heat. When hot, add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes or so.
- 2. Add potatoes and garlic, and cook and stir 1 minute more.
- 3. Add 2 1/4 cups each of broth and milk, and bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook at a simmer until potatoes and shallots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 4. Gradually whisk in 3/4 cup cheese ad stir until it has melted. remove pan from heat and whisk in cayenne pepper. Taste and season with salt. If you use low-sodium broth, you'll need a teaspoon or more salt. If soup is too thick stir in 1/4 each additional broth and milk. (Soup can be prepared 1 day ahead; cool, cover and refrigerate. Reheat over medium heat, stirring).
- To make garnishes:.
- 1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil until hot in a medium, heavy skillet set over medium heat. Add prosciutto and saute, turning often until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- 2. To the same skillet set over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon more olive oil. When hot, add bread crumbs and cook, tossing constantly, until golden and crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. remove crumbs to a plate. (Prosciutto and crumbs can be prepared 4 hours ahead; leave uncovered at cool room temperature).
- 3. Ladle soup into 4 soup bowls and sprinkle each serving with some parmesan, prosciutto, bread crumbs and parsley.