1 hr 15 mins
Special, rich scalloped potatoes that makes any dinner out of the ordinary! To make these extra special, you can add a bit of chopped fresh sage, rosemary, or thyme to the onion and/or cheese breadcrumb mixtures.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced (a mandoline works well for this)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- coarse salt, divided
- fresh ground pepper, divided
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream or 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup freshly grated aged parmesan cheese
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 lbs medium idaho potatoes, peeled and sliced lengthwise 1/8 inch thick
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2In a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter. Turn temperature to medium high and add the onions, sauté until golden, about 8 minutes.
- 3Add the garlic, bay leaves, nutmeg, 1 tablespoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, stir well and cook for 1 minute, then add the cream and milk and bring to a boil. Remove saucepan from the heat, cover, and set stand for 5 minutes.
- 4In a medium-sized bowl, toss the Parmesan together with the dry bread crumbs, olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper.
- 5Locate the bay leaves in the onion mixture and remove them.
- 6In a large bowl, gently toss together the sliced potatoes and onion mixture.
- 7Spread half of the potato mixture in the bottom of a pan-sprayed (I use an olive oil mister) 2-quart baking dish, then sprinkle 2/3 cup of the bread crumb mixture over the top. Spread the remaining potato mixture over, pressing down firmly to pack them down, then cover with remaining bread crumbs.
- 8Bake at 400 degrees F for about 1 hour, or until the potatoes are tender and the top is a nice, golden brown (if the potatoes brown too quickly, loosely cover the baking dish with foil).
- 9Note: These can be baked up to 5 hours ahead of serving time then reheated in the oven (preferably, although doing it in the microwave would work in a pinch but the topping won't be crisp if you do so).
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Parmesan Scalloped Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 422.8
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 71.7 mg
- Sodium 321.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 11.0 g