Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I had a squash I hadn't gotten around to using yet and decided to serve it with a cream sauce and chicken. I mashed the squash with butter and it was very pretty with the sauce on top! I mixed half and half and whole milk for my sauce, because I wanted it very thick.
- Slowly bring milk to room temperature on the stove or in the microwave.
- Melt butter in a frying pan on medium heat. Slowly add flour and mix into a thick paste.
- Add 1/2 cup of the milk. Mix well until smooth. Add another 1/2 cup and mix until smooth. Continue until all the milk is used.
- Add the pepper, ginger, and basil; slowly bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to med-low so the milk won't scald.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Add diced tomatoes. Serve over pasta or squash. Garnish with fresh basil.
Ooh, Abi, this is a very nice, flavorful sauce that we actually used as a dip for our panini sandwiches! (Sort of like a French dip, only maybe Italian? ~lol~) It went together very well, a little faster than your estimate and was pretty to boot, despite the fact that my picture turned out not so pretty. Thanks for the recipe and being my PAC "baby"!