Top Review by DreamoBway
I really enjoyed this. I doubled it to feed my family, using 12 cups of broth and 12 TBS of butter. It was very rich and very worth the calories! Not difficult to make but a little time consuming. I stirred in some peas and loved the balance of salty parmesan and sweet peas. I can't wait to try it with other veggies. Thank you very much for posting!
- 6 -8 cups homemade chicken stock or 6 -8 cups low-sodium chicken stock, skimmed of fat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped shallot (about 2)
- 1 cup arborio rice or 1 cup carnaroli rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 -6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for grating or shaving
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat stock in saucepan over medium heat; keep at a low simmer.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Add shallots to oil, and cook, stirring, until translucent.
- Add rice, and cook, stirring, until rice begins to make a clicking sound like glass beads, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add wine to rice mixture.
- Cook, stirring, until wine is absorbed by rice.
- Using a ladle, add 3/4 cup hot stock to rice.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir rice constantly, at a moderate speed.
- When rice mixture is just thick enough to leave a clear wake behind the spoon, add another 3/4 cup stock.
- Continue adding stock 3/4 cup at a time and stirring constantly until rice is mostly translucent but still opaque in the center.
- Rice should be al dente but not crunchy.
- As rice nears doneness, watch carefully and add smaller amounts of liquid to make sure it does not overcook.
- The final mixture should be thick enough that grains of rice are suspended in liquid the consistency of heavy cream.
- It will thicken slightly when removed from heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter, parmesan cheese, and parsley; season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture among four shallow bowls, mounding risotto in the center, and grate or shave additional parmesan over risotto.
- Serve immediately.