Recipe by Wildflower5656
As posted in the Feb. 2009 issue of Gourmet Magazine - these rolls are to die for!
Top Review by NorthwestGal
These were delectable and cheesy dinner rolls. I prepared the recipe as written and didn't make any adjustments, and they worked out quite well for us. We had them for a Labor Day dinner, and everyone really enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Wildflower5656.
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2⁄3 cup of warm milk, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (with a rasp)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 5 tablespoons butter, cut into tablespoon pieces and softened
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together yeast, sugar and 1/3 cup of warm milk in mixer bowl and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes (if mixture doesn't foam, start over with new yeast).
- Wisk together flour, cheese, and salt, then mix into yeast mixture along with remaining 1/3 cup of milk at a low speed.
- Increase speed to medium once flour is incorporated, and beat in two eggs, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally until a very softr dough forms (about 3 minutes).
- Beat in butter until dough is elastic (approx. 2 minutes), dough will be very sticky!
- Scrape down bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel and let rise in at a warm room temperature until doubled (1 1/2 - 2hrs).
- Punch down dough (do not knead), and turn out on a floured surface. Cut into 12 equal pieces, and roll each into a ball.
- Arrange balls 1 inch apart in a buttered 9-by-2 inch round cake pan, and cover with a kitchen towel (not terry cloth).
- Let dough rise in a draft-free place at a warm room temperature until doubled and dough fills pan, 1-1/12 hrs.
- Preheat oven to 375*F with rack in middle.
- Wisk together remaining egg with water and brush on tops of rolls (you will have left over egg wash). Bake until deep golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Loosen edges of rolls pan when the come out of the oven, then let cool for several minutes before serving.