Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A fairly easy dish to prepare that pack a bunch of taste. Serve it with any meat.
- 4 old baking potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced then pulled apart into rings
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 4 garlic cloves, left whole
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- grease a medium baking dish (with a cover).
- layer potato and onion, on each layer add a couple of chunks of butter and sprinkling with Parmesan, chopped garlic and parsley.
- Add salt and pepper as needed.
- On the final layer put the four whole cloves of garlic, add the breadcrumbs and a few dabs of butter.
- Bake covered for 1 hour, remove top and continue baking until breadcrumbs are brown and potatoes are tender.
- Another 30 minutes or so.
- Optionally add some fresh basil and oregano along with the parsley.
Steve, Great recipe! The first night we found the potatoes delicious but a little dry. We had the leftovers for dinner the next night and I added 1/4 cup of chicken broth prior to reheating and this sent the dish over the top! Next time I make this I will add 1/2 Cup chicken broth, fresh oregano and thyme along with the parsley. Very nice! Made and reviewed for 3 Chefs, Summer 2008.