Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a quick and delicious casserole. My 4 year-old picky eater ate every bite. Roasting the chicken and adding parmesan cheese change the flavor of this great classic.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, yield three cups
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttery crackers, crushed (about one sleeve)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Place chicken breast in lightly greased baking dish, season with seasoned salt, and pepper. Bake at 450 for 30-35 minutes, until breasts are done. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 350°F.
- In medium bowl add cream soup, sour cream, poppy seeds, and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Stir well.
- Chop chicken and add to bowl of soup and sour cream mixture. Stir well.
- Place chicken in a lightly greased 11x7x1 1/2 inch baking dish, spread evenly.
- Combine crushed crackers, 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, and butter and sprinkle over chicken mixture. Bake uncovered at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Note: You do not have to roast the chicken, I just prefer the layer of flavor. You can also use fat-free sour cream and soup to save fat.
nice variation to an old favorite. my mom used to make this when i was little. i add 1 tablespoon of poppyseeds into the mixture and 1 tablespoon in the cracker mixture. i use club crackers instead of the ritz. i used some leftover rotisserie chicken that i had on hand. i added some cooked rice into the mix, but i think pasta would have been better. i'll try that next time! thanks so much!!
So delicious and easy. I served it at a luncheon over rice with a green salad and a fruit salad. I would definitely make it again. Thanks for the great recipe!