Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Thank goodness, Kittencal posted her Parmesan Meatball recipe. It's outstanding!!With her permission,I've adopted her recipe to use in a variety of ways-here's another. Soup with your fav crusty bread for dipping! Can be made in the crock pot for easy prep.
1 batch Parmesan Meatballs by Kittencal
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (grated) or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese (grated)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans low sodium beef broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh spinach, chopped (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Mix all meatball ingredients together.
- Form into marble-sized meatballs. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a extra large saucepan or stock pot over medium heat, heat olive oil.
- Add onion and sauté until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to HIGH and add diced tomatoes, broth, Parsley, and seasonings; and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to LOW and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove meatballs from refrigerator; gently slip each into soup mixture and simmer over MED-LOW heat until meatballs are cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Increase temp to MED-HIGH; add rice; cook for about 15 minutes; then add spinach and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Check and adjust seasonings.
- To serve:.
- Ladle into warmed bowls and garnish with Parsley sprigs and a sprinkle of shredded Mozzarella Cheese.
This continues to be a favorite in this house. NO ONE ever says, "no, don't fix that today"! Everyone love this soup.
this was more of a stew than a soup, very thick even though i only used 1 cup of rice and had to add 3 extra cups of beef stock. my meatball loving dd enjoyed it for dinner.
OUTSTANDING soup Caroline! all of my favorite ingredients (including meatballs LOL!) I made this soup tonight and the only change I made was I added in about 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic and sauteed with the onion, and sprinkled Parmesan on top, what a super tasting soup! Caroline thank you for this wonderful recipe, DH and myself enjoyed it very much with homemade rolls!