Recipe by Leslie in Texas
These creamy garlic-enhanced potatoes are great with any roasted or grilled meat. From an October 1984 issue of Bon Apetit.Snipped chives are also good added to this.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 12 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley, minced
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in heavy small saucepan over low heat.
- Add garlic, cover and cook until very tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes; do not brown.
- Add cream and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, combine potatoes in medium saucepan with enough cold water to cover by at least 2 inches.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until very tender, about 20 minutes.;drain well.
- Pass potatoes through medium blade of food mill into large bowl (or mash by hand; do not use electric mixer or processor).
- Strain warm cream into potatoes(garlic may also be pureed and added to potatoes for a fuller garlic flavor).
- Add cheese and parsley;stir until fluffy.
- Top potatoes with additional butter and pepper and serve immediately.