Parmesan Mashed Butternut Squash
- Carefully cut squash in half using a heavy blade chef?s knife. Scrape out the seeds using a spoon.
- Rub the cut surfaces of the squash with the extra virgin olive oil.
- Place onto a cookie sheet cut side up and roast in a 350 convection oven (or 375 conventional oven) for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the squash is easily pierced with a skewer.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly at room temperature.
- As soon as you can safely handle the squash without burning your hands, scoop out the flesh into a mixing bowl, being sure to remove any burnt bits or pieces of skin.
- Place flesh back onto cookie sheet and put back into oven, just until hot (about 3-5 minutes).
- Place hot squash in a mixing bowl, add remaining ingredients and mash with a potato masher or a fork to desired consistency. If you like it a little smoother, pass the squash through a food mill before mixing in remaining ingredients.