This is a fabulous way to prepare squash! My DH normally does not like squash of any kind and really enjoyed this! Great alternative to mashed potatoes. Posted as a component of my "Salmon Piccata", but is great on it's own too!
- Carefully cut squash in half using a heavy blade chef?s knife. Scrape out the seeds using a spoon.
- Rub the cut surfaces of the squash with the extra virgin olive oil.
- Place onto a cookie sheet cut side up and roast in a 350 convection oven (or 375 conventional oven) for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the squash is easily pierced with a skewer.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly at room temperature.
- As soon as you can safely handle the squash without burning your hands, scoop out the flesh into a mixing bowl, being sure to remove any burnt bits or pieces of skin.
- Place flesh back onto cookie sheet and put back into oven, just until hot (about 3-5 minutes).
- Place hot squash in a mixing bowl, add remaining ingredients and mash with a potato masher or a fork to desired consistency. If you like it a little smoother, pass the squash through a food mill before mixing in remaining ingredients.
Made this tonight with some pan-fried pork chops and it was a huge hit! I'll definitely be using this recipe again :)
This was very good... my butternut squash was HUGE though so I wasn't sure how much of the the other ingredients to use. I served this with Parmesan Garlic Chicken, and it was a hit!