Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Good served hot with stew. Note: if you don't have buttermilk or sour milk you can make some for this recipe by putting lemon juice (or vinegar but I like lemon juice better) into a measuring cup and then pour in milk to make 1 1/4 cup. Let set for 10 minutes at room temperature before using.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage leaf, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk or 1 1⁄4 cups sour milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 large egg
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease bottoms of 12 muffin-pan cups or line with paper baking cups.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
- In large bowl, combine flour sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sage, parsley and cheese, blend well.
- Add buttermilk (or sour milk), margarine and egg; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3rds full.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center coumes out clean.
- Best served warm.
These were easy and very tasty... a good way to use up buttermilk I had left after making another recipe! I used fresh herbs from my garden: Chives, parsley, thyme, oregano and basil. As other reviewers noted, I felt this needed some salt and more parmesan. I'm definitely making another batch soon!
We liked these. Very nice with soup. I made them with half whole wheat and half white flour. The Parmesan taste was subtle. I didn't especially like the sweetness (though the hubby didn't notice it.) If I make these again (and I probably will), I'll eliminate the sugar and increase the cheese to 1/3 of a cup for a stronger Parmesan flavor. Thanks for the recipe!
Made for PAC2007Fall*. Served with "Recipe#39234". This made a nice savory muffin, but could have used some salt, for our taste. I used buttermilk powder and water and fresh parsley from our herb garden. Would make these again for dinner muffins. Thanls *Pixie*.